AMTS.Cattle.Professional (AMTS.Pro) version 4.0 and AMTS.Feedbank Manager (AMTS.FBM) version 2.xx feedstuff databases have been updated to include the following changes:
- biotin and choline unit changes
- amino acids unit changes
- Carbohydrate b3 kd rate calculation changes
Biotin and Choline Unit Changes
The Biotin and Choline units have been changed from % DM to ppm. Your Master Feedbank are automatically converted from version FBM version 2.x to version 3. However, if Biotin or Choline are in your mapping file, you must update the equation so that it is consistent with the new units. To update the mapping file:
For example, if your Mill software exportsBiotin in “mg/lb” in version 2.x, the equation to convert to % DM would look like this:
- Settings – Set Component Mapping :
2. Change the equation to the correct equation for the new units (ppm)
Amino Acid Unit Changes
The amino acid unit measure has been changed from % ISR to % CP basis. Although you could manually edit each of the amino acid values in FBM, it will more efficient to user the procedure outlined below. AMTS.Pro has an tool to convert feed amino acid values in farm files and feedbanks, based on estimated matches to feeds in the AMTS Feedbank. The steps below outline how to bring your FBM feeds into .Pro, use the aa conversion tool to update the feeds and then move the “converted feeds” back into FBM.
Update the feedstuffs in AMTS.Pro and AMTS.FBM databases using these steps:
Create backup copies of the following files:
- AMTS.FBM Masterfeedbank; this file will have the extension *.amts_mfb
- AMTS.Cattle.Pro Current Farms; My DocumentsAMTSAMTS.Cattle.ProCurrent Farms*.*.
Install AMTS.FBM v 3.0.x (remember to install as administrator).
- Copy and Paste your Master Feedbank file from the previous version subdirectory to the Current (v 3.0.x) Version subdirectory.
- Start FBM v 3.0.x.
- Email the License key to firstname.lastname@example.org; copy and paste the activation code that I email to you into the box “Activation Code”. Click on “Process Activation Code”. Click on “OK”. Click on “Exit Program”.
- Open the folder in the Database Path and click on your Master Feedbank file. Be sure to navigate to the copy of your Master Feedbank in the NEW program data path.
Click on the Check. Click on “Yes” when this message appears:C
- Click on the check and then the door in this screen:
Create a User Feedbank with all of the FBM master feedbank feeds.
- Feedbanks – User Feedbanks – Create User Feedbank
Feedbanks – Update AMTS User Feedbank
- Check “fbm master feeds_old user feedbank
Click on show data
Click on the icon at the bottom of the screen.
Click on paper icon bottom of the screen.
Click the check at the bottom of the screen
Click the x.
Install AMTS.pro v 4.0 and convert aa units
- Install and Start AMTS.Pro v 4.0. It does not matter which farm file is opened.
- Go to the Feeds Screen
- My Feedbanks (icon at top of screen)
AA conversion tool (icon at top of screen) click on carrot
- Select the feedbank you just created in FBM (fbm master feeds_old) from the drop down list.
- The Amino Acid Conversion Tool screen will appear.
Edit Feed amino acids and Protein A2, B1 and B2 rates.
Review the amino acid values and the Pro-B1 kd and Pro B2 kd rates. Manually enter values or match to a “like” AMTS feed. See: Converting from AMTS.Cattle™.Pro 3.5 using CNCPS 6.1 to AMTS.Cattle™.Pro 4.0 using CNCPS 6.5 document.
When all of the values in the grid are correct, check the “acknowledgement” box at the bottom of the screen and click on the “Convert Values” button.
- If a “Reconcile company feedbanks” screen appears, click on “Exit” without reconciling.
- Add amino acid corrected feeds to the Master Feedbank:
Go back to FBM. Feedbank – Add Feeds To Master Feedbank.
Select Feed Library that you created in FBM and update in AMTS.Pro.
- Click on the papers icon at the bottom of the screen to import all of the feeds. You will see a warning message. Click on the “Yes” to overwrite existing feeds.
- Go to the “Update Company Master Feedbank” screen and check that the amino acid values and Pro-B1 and B2 kd rates are correct in FBM are correct.
- You can now provide this User Feedbank or subsequent User Feedbanks created in FBM to update each farm file that you open in AMTS.Pro using the “Reconcile” function. In the .Pro settings, if the Reconcile- Automatically Reconcile Farm Feeds Against Company Feedbanks is checked, the farm file reconcile screen will appear as soon as the farm file is opened. If this option is not checked, you will have the option of reconciling for farm file feeds on the “Feeds” Screen.
Reconcile Screen: Pro will match each feed in the open farm file with feeds in all of the User Feedbanks in the …AMTSAMTS.Cattle.ProFeedbanks folder. If the feed in the User Feedbank has matching Feed Name, Source, Source ID and Company ID AND has a last update date that is newer than the date associated with that feed in the farm file, the feed will be listed in this screen.
Check the box to the left of the feed name and click on the “Reconcile” button to have all of the price and nutrient data from the User Feedbank replace the values in the farm file.
If you do not want to automatically see the Reconcile screen when you open a new farm file, clear the Automatically Reconcile Farm Feeds Against Company Feedbanks checkbox in the Settings – Reconcile screen. In this case you can still run the reconcile function from the Feeds screen:
Click on the carrot next to the Reconcile icon and choose Company to reconcile company user feedbanks.
Composites that are edited in FBM must be transferred to AMTS.Pro farm files before they can be reconciled in Pro. This is true even if the composite originated in AMTS.Pro. When the composite is edited in FBM, the source ID of the feed changes and the composite identification no longer completely matches in .Pro.
Directions for Your End Users:
Even though you (the FBM user) has updated the amino acids and kd rates of the feeds, your end users will need to take some steps to update their farm files.
- Update to AMTS.Pro version 4.x.
- Copy amino acid corrected User Feedbank into the Feedbanks folder (…C:…DocumentsAMTSAMTS.Cattle.ProFeedbanks.
Start AMTS.Pro. You may see a message such as:
Ignore this for now by clicking on “OK”.
Open a farm file. Be patient; it will take the farm file a few seconds to load the conversion tool.
Converting Farm Feeds
The conversion tool screen will be displayed. Ignore feeds in blue. These will be converted by the company that provides the user feedbank for these feeds. Review items in red or black print. These are feeds created by you. In the revised CNCPS v. 6.5 model, amino acids are expressed as a percentage of crude protein (% CP). In addition, the protein degradation rates have been updated in the CNCPS (and AMTS) feed library. To convert the amino acid units and the update the rates, your feeds have been matched against similar AMTS feedbank feeds. Individual amino acid values and rates can also be edited directly in the grid.
- Click on the Search for Matches button.
- Note that feeds that cannot be matched by the AMTS.Pro algorithm will be displayed in red type. You can either enter the values directly into these rows or you can manually find a similar feed in the AMTS feed library and use the AMTS feed library values.
To manually match the feed, click on the Match(1) button in the middle of the row.
A window will pop up on the right side of the screen. Enter the feed name (In this case alfalfa) in the Search for Name (2) box. Select the feed type from drop down list to narrow the search. Scroll down the resulting list. Click on the < button to the left of the feed that best matches the feed in your farm file.
A pop up (3) message will ask you if you want to continue. If you do, click on OK. If you don’t click on Cancel.
IF you accept the change, that feed row will change from red to black. Edit or match all of the feeds that are in red font. To close the matching popup screen, click on the >> (4) in the AMTS Feeds bar at the top of the window.
Check all of the feed values in red and black type – do they make sense? If all of the feeds are correct, click on the box at the bottom of the grid to agree to the disclaimer:
- Click on the Convert Values button.
- The Reconcile screen will now appear. Click on “Reconcile” “OK” “OK”
- Your farm file feeds are now updated to AMTS version 4. Please carefully review farm recipes.